You have decided to sell. But before you put the sign in the yard there are some things you will want to make sure you have done. Time spent doing research and setting the right price will most likely yield you a better return in the end. A home is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it.
Track your neighborhood values
Find out what homes similar to yours are selling for in your neighborhood so you will have a good idea what your home is worth.
Buyer or seller market
You need to judge whether it’s a sellers’ market or a buyers’ market in your neighborhood. Remember that all real estate is local. You will want to research things like interest rates, home inventory, job forecasts, and even time of year.
How many homes are for sale? If you live in a desirable neighborhood and there aren’t many homes for sale, you will have a clear edge here. However, if you see lots of homes on the market and they’re not selling very quickly, you might have to reduce the price you had in mind.
Know the average days on the market
Review the homes in your neighborhood and their days on market sometimes referred to as DOM. Look at trends for the past year and assess whether homes were appreciating or depreciating.
Monitor the job market
Is a big company relocating workers to your area? Or are they moving out and shutting the doors? The job market has a lot to do with the real estate market.
Attend nearby open houses
Observe how other properties are showing and compare them to your home. At an open house you can often feel the “mood” of potential buyers.
Get a professional opinion
A real estate professional will be able to help you gather all of the above information and come up with a CMA or comparable market analysis to determine the best price range for you home.
Featured Property Slideshow
Dennis Listing AlertsDennis, MA - $215,000 - Condo - - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1/115 hours agoDennis, MA - $419,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:6 - Beds:4 - Baths:215 hours agoDennis, MA - $69,900 - Single-Family - Cottage, Seasonal - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:115 hours agoDennis, MA - $399,900 - Single-Family - Cape, Expandable - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:2/115 hours ago
Yarmouth Listing AlertsYarmouth, MA - $285,000 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:11 hour agoYarmouth, MA - $215,000 - Land - Acres:11 hour agoYarmouth, MA - $309,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:215 hours agoYarmouth, MA - $229,900 - Single-Family - Ranch - Rooms:5 - Beds:2 - Baths:115 hours ago
Harwich Listing AlertsHarwich, MA - $549,000 - Single-Family - Farm House, Antique - Rooms:14 - Beds:6 - Baths:4/215 hours agoHarwich, MA - $456,900 - Single-Family - Farm House, Antique - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:1/1Harwich, MA - $295,000 - Single-Family - Bungalow, Antique - Rooms:4 - Beds:2 - Baths:1Harwich, MA - $324,000 - Single-Family - Ranch, Expandable - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:2
- Dennisport pair charged in multiple break-ins May 16, 2013A man and woman from Dennisport have been indicted on multiple charges in connection with a series of break-ins that took place between September 2012 and January. […]
- Researchers perform necropsy on second dead dolphin May 15, 2013A necropsy was being performed this morning on a female bottlenose dolphin, one of two dolphins saved Monday evening by rescuers on the northside of Dennis but were found dead yesterday. […]
- Newstalk - May 15 May 15, 2013The annual Somerville High Scholarship Foundation raffle is this Friday evening, May 17, and tickets are still available the first price of $10,000 that will be awarded along with many other prizes. […]
- Cape and Islands nonprofit news May 15, 2013Sesuit Harbor House in Dennis will combine its grand opening with a breast cancer fundraiser and bake sale event, "Sweet Summer Kick Off," on May 25. […]
- Dennisport pair charged in multiple break-ins May 16, 2013
- School panel race the only contest in Harwich May 19, 2013The birth of the Monomoy Regional High School is tangible now. The foundation is poured, the girders will be arriving soon and the track and synthetic-surface multipurpose field are taking shape. […]
- Wheaton College Baseball Season Ends at Regionals May 18, 2013The second-seeded Wheaton College baseball team, ranked no.15 overall in the latest D3baseball.com, saw its season come to a close as the Lyons fell to fourth-seeded Western New England University, 8-3, on day three of the NCAA Division III New England Regional on Friday night at Harwich's Whitehouse Field. […]
- Harwich Junior Theatre stages musical as Hamlisch tribute May 16, 2013Everyone knows "A Chorus Line," but director Richard Sullivan finds that people fall largely into two camps when he mentions "They're Playing Our Song": They have never heard of this Marvin Hamlisch musical or they heard the album years ago and looove it. […]
- Chatham police issue report for missing man May 16, 2013Police are investigating a report of a missing 44-year-old man last seen Wednesday walking towards Harwich along the shoreline of Forest Beach on Nantucket Sound. […]
- School panel race the only contest in Harwich May 19, 2013